“THE PROCESS IS THE END. FOR IT IS THE PROCESS THAT IS GLORIFYING TO GOD.” --Oswald Chambers

"This life therefore, is not godliness but the process of becoming godly, not health but getting well, not being but becoming, not rest but exercise. We are not now what we shall be, but we are on the way. The process is not yet finished, but it is actively going on. This is not the goal, but it is the right road. At present, everything does not gleam and sparkle, but everything is being cleansed." --Martin Luther

Friday, March 9, 2012

"the show"

Oh boy, now you’re wondering who I am going to offend (I know my wife is!). Might be a lot of people but hear me out first. I see Sunday morning “worship” as a show, I do. And I am not alone in it. But I want to explain so you can see where I am coming from. I understand that there are a great many people that get a great deal out of Sunday morning worship (I have as well at times), I am not here to discount that. I just want to show you a different perspective (one that I am not alone in). Let me ask you, where did our current Sunday morning worship come from? What was it born out of? Answer: the popular Christian music industry (look at the music we sing). Our Sunday morning is not a lot different than going to a Christian music concert (complete with stadium seating and the best singers and musicians we got). It is entertainment plain and simple. Yes, there are some that view it as worship and I think that is very sad because I don’t think they know what worship really is and never will as long as they can be entertained (and get that warm fuzzy feeling). Am I saying you cannot worship in that kind of setting …No. What I am saying is we are and will continue to sell everyone short if this is all it is ever going to be. Oh yes, I can hear some tell me already, “You need to have grace for those that are not where you are.” And I can only say that I hope they never have to be on the same path I have been on and be where I am at. I don’t write this as someone with some sort of spiritual superiority (I don’t need to be reminded who I am, I know). I write this as someone who sees things and has the stupidity/courage (you chose) to say them. I want the best for everyone, period. Really, I am not looking to offend people but it is going to happen when you chose to be honest and write what is in your heart. And if that means knocking over the apple cart to do it, I’m ok with that. I really am not looking to make enemies, only to challenge your thinking and want you to want more than the world has to offer.

No comments: