“THE PROCESS IS THE END. FOR IT IS THE PROCESS THAT IS GLORIFYING TO GOD.” --Oswald Chambers

"This life therefore, is not godliness but the process of becoming godly, not health but getting well, not being but becoming, not rest but exercise. We are not now what we shall be, but we are on the way. The process is not yet finished, but it is actively going on. This is not the goal, but it is the right road. At present, everything does not gleam and sparkle, but everything is being cleansed." --Martin Luther

Saturday, August 21, 2010

THE PRISONER IN THE THIRD CELL by Gene Edwards

I just finished this book. Well, just finished a week or so ago by the time you read this as I am posted out to the end of the week already. I had put a few quotes up a couple weeks ago. I am not a great book-reviewer, so as usual-I am going to give you some quotes and thoughts from the book to think about. His words are so much better than mine.
Again, Gene Edwards doesn’t really answer your questions. Instead, he asks you: “Will you follow a God you do not understand? Will you follow a God who does not live up to your expectations?”

This is a story of John the Baptist. This is John sacrificing and becoming the Voice of the One Crying Out in the Wilderness, “Prepare Ye the Way of the Lord”. And this is the story of that same John in the Third Cell of the prison. Wondering if he got it right.
“You recall those long vigils before my face. Did you misunderstand me? Were you mistaken? Perhaps you did not hear my voice at all?” p.70

This is a book about you being that prisoner in the Third Cell. About you wondering why, if, who, what the?? The latter part is Jesus talking as if to John (not in person). Christ is in solitude praying, recounting, as if John were there, talking him through his final days.
“But today you have met a God you do not understand. Such is the mystery of my sovereignty. Such are my ways in every generation. No man has ever understood me, not fully. No man ever will. I will always be something other than what men expect me to be. I will work out my will in ways different from what men foresee.” P. 73

Edwards then addresses you, the reader. “You have now come face to face with a God whom you do not fully understand. You have met a God who has not lived up to your expectations. Every believer must come to grips with a God who did not do things quite the way it was expected.

“You are going to get to know your Lord by faith or you will not know Him at all. Faith in Him, trust that is in Him…not in His ways.” P.77

“The question before the house is this: ‘Will you follow a God you do not understand? Will you follow a God who does not live up to your expectations?’” p.78

"Before this present tragedy entered into your life, it first passed through the sovereign hand of God.” P.81

No comments: