“THE PROCESS IS THE END. FOR IT IS THE PROCESS THAT IS GLORIFYING TO GOD.” --Oswald Chambers

"This life therefore, is not godliness but the process of becoming godly, not health but getting well, not being but becoming, not rest but exercise. We are not now what we shall be, but we are on the way. The process is not yet finished, but it is actively going on. This is not the goal, but it is the right road. At present, everything does not gleam and sparkle, but everything is being cleansed." --Martin Luther

Saturday, June 23, 2007

MORE JOURNAL NOTES




6-8-07
Classes not as full today, but the kids seemed very knowledgeable. I was a little disappointed that I didn’t get to teach today. Instead I sat and listened to Pete and Glenn. After they were done a 10th grader came and nervously told them how he had been delivered from demonic powers, how he had experienced Christ’s Power first hand. His hands trembled when he spoke but he felt he just had to tell us. Both Pete and I marveled at how powerfully someone who has experienced this type of oppression/opposition could be used to further God’s kingdom.
I see these little boys running around and think, “man, that’s Joe!” It makes me miss the family more, but also realize some of Joe’s quirks are just from being African! It’s quite the conversation starter when I show the pictures! They all want to know if he is really going to stay, if we are going to keep him.
Played soccer yesterday-pulled several muscles I didn’t know I had. I cut my lip trying to head the ball when it missed my head and hit my face instead.
Kelly will definitely not like the traffic in Lusaka; sometimes you just laugh, other times you just close your eyes and pray.
Pete and I seem to be going through a lot of the same attacks and accusations. The thing we seem to come up with is that we are here for a different purpose than the rest of the team. I guess that should be another confirmation now that I think about it.
6-9-07
Kel had some of our friends write notes for me for each day. They must have been God ordained. Each day has been exactly what I needed, related to exactly what was going on (either the day before or that night). Just one example, the note the next morning after my worst night of attacks shared Eph. 6 about putting on the full armor of God. Just what I needed to be reminded of. Each note has been just what I need.
I connected with one of the older gentleman about his adopted son and the struggles he has had. Makes our struggles with Joe seem insignificant.
6-10-07
I slept last night pretty good for the first time. I got to talk to Kel yesterday!
We are going to go plant a church today. (Hey guys-I still got to plant a church…they have a little different method than we do...
(Later)
The singing was unbelievable! About three minutes before we started Davis came over and told me I was sharing my testimony. I said, “Excuse me?” It went okay. It is definitely different working with an interpreter. Pete did an excellent job preaching on what it meant to be a disciple of Christ. It is one I would love to have preached in my home church. There were about 30-40 adults and probably twice as many kids.
Zack really wants me to stay another week. Part of me would really like to, but I want to see my family.
Glenn has about a million ideas, some really good, some okay. Implementing them would be the question. He definitely is thinking things through. Ideas are good. We just need to completely finish something, anything (one thing).
6-11-07
Finally got to the school today after dropping a guy off at the airport with Zack; he showed me a few things along the way.
We did a prayer hike up on Mt. Kazimba. On the way up I talked to Pete a bit. This is what I am feeling:
1) Not sure God is saying yes
2) Absolutely sure God is NOT saying no
Fear is constantly trying to creep in. I am asking for a sign and I am questioning whether I should. I had a really good time of prayer up there. One thing was clear when I was up there. I need to spend a day up there fasting and praying. I think Wednesday.
This afternoon Pete and I went on a hike and checked out the river and came back through the bush. It was interesting; I think Pete may have been a little nervous.
Zack showed me around some of the site: the chicken coup, little Kazimba, water tank is on top, our house would be on the back side of little Kazimba facing Mt. Kazimba. It is beautiful, but nothing compared to the African night sky. Words cannot describe it.
Tonight at worship was an amazing experience. The music was great but what I will never forget is the Zambian pastors and their wives washing the feet of the US contingent and the Malawian pastors while some of the woman sang in the background. I was moved to tears. I still am just thinking about it.
This afternoon I interviewed Peter Banta, a pastor from Lusaka. I got it on video. It was good, and then we talked for a while and shared with each other. He is so fun, he loves to laugh.
6-12-07
I worked on the compound with the Luverne, MN group this morning. After lunch I went back to the cabin. I am really tired; I was up from 2-5 this morning. I feel a migraine coming on so I’ve been trying to rest but it is not really working.
According to Zack it stays pretty much between 80-90 degrees year round. During the rainy season it usually only rains in the afternoon for 1-2 hours. Then the sun comes right back out and you can get back to work in the fields.
There is also not much for mesquites, nothing like we have in Minnesota.
Today is the first time I have felt discouragement about doing this. I’ve had a critical spirit towards the way some of the work is done. Some of the questions asked by the national pastors I didn’t care for. Some of these people I am suspicious of. (NOTE: I was really struggling this day-I was critical of everyone and everything. I know now that is was a spirit of discouragement attacking me. It became clear that there was so many things I needed to work through personally these weeks.) We’re all imperfect so it can be challenging dealing with imperfect people. There are also challenges in understanding cultures.
Most of the national pastors are Baptist and proud of it. Zack said from what he has seen there is a lot of division among the denominations. Many are surprised when I tell them I attend an Evangelical Free church. This has opened some doors for sharing that we are all brothers and sisters in Christ-regardless of what church you attend. I could share the straight Gospel message without doctrine getting in the way.
I think a lot of what I’ve been feeling today is a result of being tired and weak and satan sees an open door, then of course tomorrow I plan to pray and fast. So the headache should not be surprising.

No comments: