“THE PROCESS IS THE END. FOR IT IS THE PROCESS THAT IS GLORIFYING TO GOD.” --Oswald Chambers

"This life therefore, is not godliness but the process of becoming godly, not health but getting well, not being but becoming, not rest but exercise. We are not now what we shall be, but we are on the way. The process is not yet finished, but it is actively going on. This is not the goal, but it is the right road. At present, everything does not gleam and sparkle, but everything is being cleansed." --Martin Luther

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

leadership

I have joined a small group bible study in The Character of a Leader from the BILD material. It is an in depth study of Scripture in which we look at the qualifications of leaders in all areas. Personally it is a very challenging study. I look at the qualifications and feel I am not there and even question if I ever will be. (Kel says maybe that means I am closer than I think)
Recently someone that we meet on a summer mission trip posted these quotes (thanks Rob). How true they are.
"Image is what people think we are: integrity is what we really are." [John Maxwell]
"The measure of a man’s real character is what he would do if he would never be found out." [Thomas Macauley]
When you are afraid that someone is going to tell a lie, that is understandable but not an excuse to live in fear. But if you are afraid that someone is going to tell the truth than you have a real big problem, in many ways. The question becomes, what are you trying to hide? What don’t you want people to know? What are you living in fear of? One thing is for sure, it is no way to live. It affects everything, the way you live, your health (mental, physical, and spiritual). Fear is a disease from satan and it will eventually destroy you if it is not dealt with. Scripture says the truth will set you free, not just the truth but an ACCEPTANCE of the truth. Only then will you be able to move on, make changes, and do what’s necessary to get back on track.
It is one reason that we often live an “open book” kind of life. For the most part, I will answer any question you ask me point blank. I have tried not to hide from sharing our experiences, our feelings and what we have/are seeing. If I can’t tell you the answer, I will tell you why I don’t think I can answer it and tell you who I think you should ask. It can make people uncomfortable at times but it often makes our lives simpler not having to question ourselves whether or not we should disclose this or that about ourselves. We have never wanted to have people think we are more than we are, that is why we share so much about our struggles. We are just like everyone else and we hope this gives people the courage to be “real” with others. Being vulnerable is a very dangerous thing. It opens you up to some very deep hurts. But I can honestly say it is worth it. To live otherwise can be very lonely. So for myself, I would rather take the risk and put myself out there “live and raw”. Some might say “that’s stupid”, and there are good arguments to that end. But I look at patriarchs like King David and how he put himself completely out there and yet he was a man after God’s own heart. He was honest with himself, God and others. That is real courage and leadership. One I believe is to be modeled.

No comments: