“THE PROCESS IS THE END. FOR IT IS THE PROCESS THAT IS GLORIFYING TO GOD.” --Oswald Chambers

"This life therefore, is not godliness but the process of becoming godly, not health but getting well, not being but becoming, not rest but exercise. We are not now what we shall be, but we are on the way. The process is not yet finished, but it is actively going on. This is not the goal, but it is the right road. At present, everything does not gleam and sparkle, but everything is being cleansed." --Martin Luther

Monday, May 19, 2008

NEW BOOK

First off, no I have not heard from Brian yet. I imagine I will be getting a "the team made it to Lusaka" email tomorrow. He was going to try to get a cell phone today, but that might not actually happen until this weekend when he is in town for a few days. Yes, I will try to keep things updated; we also have a handfull of posts we have started in the past, but just haven't posted. I'll see about editing up to post. I really don't like to post anything unless Brian has read it first, but I'll see what I can do

Anyway, a new recommended book: All That You Can't Leave Behind-a rookie missionary's life in Africa by Ryan J. Murphy. I heard about it from Christine who is planning to move to Tanzania with her family in the future to do mission work as well.

One of the things we just really can't prepare for until we get there is the culture shock. Sure, we can read about it, be aware that it is coming so we can recognize it right away, but...it's something we will have to go through. And unfortunately, not just once, or even twice. There are many things we will have to adjust in lifestyle, attitudes, thought through out our time there. Another book I read was "African Friends and Money Matters". This really explained the African way of thinking in regards to time, money, relationships, life. Even though Murphy is in another ministry role and country, the book rang true. It is refreshing to know that is it going to be normal to not like everything right away, all the time, or even at all. Murphy talks about the different levels of his emails-not that they are dishonest, but that he only shares things with certain people (as we all do here anyway). He was asked by a best friend who got to hear all the bads, why he bothered to stay. Murphy said it's because he is 100% committed, because he knows this is where God has him. That is exactly where we are at. We know that Zambia is where God has called us right now. It's not easy, it's often frustrating, and we aren't even there yet! But we are totally committed and trusting that this is where God has us, and He will take care us. People ask, "how do you know God is talking to you?" You just know-sorry there is no magic formula (just be sure there is nothing that goes against the Word of God. God will never tell you to do something that is against Scripture). I heard someone on the radio say today: "If God wants me to do something, He's going to give me the faith to do it. And I'll have the faith and God working, so it's not going to be a big deal, I'll just do it." Interestingly put, I can see it in my own life.

No comments: