“THE PROCESS IS THE END. FOR IT IS THE PROCESS THAT IS GLORIFYING TO GOD.” --Oswald Chambers

"This life therefore, is not godliness but the process of becoming godly, not health but getting well, not being but becoming, not rest but exercise. We are not now what we shall be, but we are on the way. The process is not yet finished, but it is actively going on. This is not the goal, but it is the right road. At present, everything does not gleam and sparkle, but everything is being cleansed." --Martin Luther

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

The Disclaimer

Its 3 am. I awoke with some things bothering me. Why do things come to me at this hour instead of a more convenient time? Maybe my mind is too cluttered during the more convenient times.
So what is the disclaimer? It is what we so often say at the end of prayers, especially prayers for people to be healed. “If it is Your will”. Now I am thinking out loud so bare with me. Are we negating the power in the name of Jesus Christ by putting a disclaimer on the end? I’ve heard one argument to using that phrase is that Jesus prayed “Your will be done” at the Mount of Olives. “Jesus prayed that it be the Fathers will and not His own.” I’m not sure that justification flies, why? Jesus knew the Father’s will. They were one. Jesus was not praying for healing for someone. And to say we should pray that way because Jesus did is taking it out of context. When Jesus healed people, He just did it!
You say, well that was Jesus. What about the 12 disciples? They healed people in the name of Jesus. You say, well that was the 12, that’s different. Okay, what about the 72 Jesus sent out in Luke chapter 10? What about what the disciples said in Mark 9:40 and Luke 9:50 about those that were using the power in the name of Jesus that were not followers? (The disciples told these others to stop what they were doing in Jesus’ name, since they weren’t following Him. Basically Jesus says , if they are not against us, they are for us. The point being, these were others, not the “original 12” or even 72 who were doing signs and wonders in Jesus’ names). In ACTS 6 the disciples were getting caught up with waiting tables (doing business), so they called 7 others who were full of the Spirit. They were out doing ministry/healing people in the name of Jesus, but they were not of the “original”12. Go through the gospels, the epistles; just go through the whole Bible. I have not as of yet found where when someone prayed healing, that it was asked if it was God’s will. If you find somewhere let me know, please.
The Bible also does not talk about those that were not healed. Did Jesus or the followers of Christ heal everyone they came in contact with? No, I don’t think they did (not that He COULDN’T, but did He? Did He heal everyone at the pool of Bethsaida, or just the one guy? It doesn’t say. Why did He pass some by? I don’t know). I think this disclaimer we use, we use out of fear. We put it back on God. So if it does not happen, we have an out. (Why do we need an out? It’s GOD, not US anyway!) I believe we lose the power of Jesus name because of our fear and unbelief. What did Jesus say in Mt 21:22/ Mk 11:24? “Ask and believe and it will be give to you”.
In the church at large, I see very few that believe God can and/or will heal. Why? Because they have not seen it. But I ask: have we not seen it because we have not believed? We thank God for the doctors or the medicine. We give glory to everyone except who it belongs to. God is going to do something in which the ONLY one who can receive credit or glory will be HIM! What are you going to do when that happens? Will you be able to accept it?
I don’t want to come across as I’ve got it all figured out. The hardest thing for a preacher to do is stand up front and preach, because they are speaking to themselves-they don’t have it altogether (even though we assume they do). I feel the same way: I am talking to myself here too. When I write words of encouragement, rebuke, challenge, it’s as much for me as it is for anyone else.

No comments: