“THE PROCESS IS THE END. FOR IT IS THE PROCESS THAT IS GLORIFYING TO GOD.” --Oswald Chambers

"This life therefore, is not godliness but the process of becoming godly, not health but getting well, not being but becoming, not rest but exercise. We are not now what we shall be, but we are on the way. The process is not yet finished, but it is actively going on. This is not the goal, but it is the right road. At present, everything does not gleam and sparkle, but everything is being cleansed." --Martin Luther

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Back from ECHO in Ft. Myers, Florida

Sounds wonderful doesn’t? But I spent a good part of my time in a library studying, not outdoors, definitely not a vacation. It was a really good time just the same. Before I went I had prayed some very specific requests regarding my time there, and I believe those prayers where answered. I feel as though God has given me some clear direction as far as what I am to do and how. I received some more clear conformations that we are on the right road as well (I’ll tell more about that later).
So what/who exactly is ECHO? ECHO is a non-profit organization whose vision is “to bring glory to God and a blessing to mankind by using science and technology to help the poor.” To learn more go to www.echonet.org. There is more information there than you will know what to do with. ECHO stands for Educational Concerns for Hunger Organization. It is a tremendous resource for missionaries in the field in regards to agriculture issues. When I have a question, I can email them and they will do some research for me, so I don’t have to use my time to do that. Through their research and others they have been able to discover numerous uses for plants we probably would never find on our. For example, there is tree that is edible and when its seeds are processed and put into water, it will purify the water. And there are more uses. There were more trees and plants that have multiple uses as well, for me it was just exciting. But by the end of the week I was in information over load. I now see why a lot of people spend at least several months there studying and working. I plan on writing about what I learned and it is not all about agriculture. Actually what I learned about was my Father in heaven and His creation.
I also gained a better understanding of Scripture. How? Well I learned more about His creation and design and how it works. I gained a better understanding of some terminology in Scripture. Jesus often used agricultural as a reference (i.e. grafting, olive tree, grape vines, fig tree, wheat fields, harvest, soil types) when teaching and explaining things. Does God care about agriculture? You bet, HE does not and has not done anything haphazardly. It has all been done with purpose. In Gen.1:11-12 we see our Father created food from the land on day 3, on day 5 HE created the fish of the sea and the birds of the air. On day 6 HE created all the animals that are on land and then HE made man in His image to have dominion over ALL that HE created. We are to rule over the land and animals (be good stewards of it), not bow down to it. Why are so many people going hungry? God created food for us. Why? They/we are living in sin (not being good stewards of the land). Tell me does it make sense to live in a land in which you can grow food year round and your people are starving? Answer, NO. They are not being good stewards of the land that God has given them. The question for us, are we? And I am not talking about that global warming scam! To believe that we can destroy God’s creation before HE says, is giving us too much power. GOD is sovereign; He is not sitting in heaven worried that we are going to destroy His creation before He can complete what He has planned. That is just ludicrous! That does not give us license to do whatever we want. Being poor stewards is SIN, no matter what area (land, livestock, MONEY, time, gifts/talents/abilities/skills, EVERYTHING). It is all a gift, a precious gift and should be treated as such.

No comments: