"This life therefore, is not godliness but the process of becoming godly, not health but getting well, not being but becoming, not rest but exercise. We are not now what we shall be, but we are on the way. The process is not yet finished, but it is actively going on. This is not the goal, but it is the right road. At present, everything does not gleam and sparkle, but everything is being cleansed." --Martin Luther

Saturday, June 20, 2009

prayer request

Last night Brian came screaming up the road on the gator yelling to Mariah that I had to go to town NOW!!! I had the girls throw a diaper on Henry, threw the medical supplies in the back of the truck and down we went to the shop to pick up Kevin, from Nebraska.
We don't know exactly how it happened, but he cut his finger in the saw. Really cut it-all the way through the bone to the other side, just barely hanging on with a chunk of skin!! He had put it back up straight, taped it on (black electrical tape), and went to the office to tell the ladies, "If you don't like blood, or you'll faint, you better not look." Luckily they were in there doing some things. Lori (Paul's wife) helped wrapped it up tight and when we got there he was laying down with his hand in the air.
Off we went to Lusaka. Along the way we picked up Davis to go with us and Shalon who has some nursing training from a while back. Kevin was doing pretty good through the ride (which Brian made in a record hour all the way to the hospital!). Towards the end he was feeling sharp pains going up into it and very hot, but really doing okay considering.
Once there Shalon and Paul took care of his paperwork and I called the travel insurance company. They put in an IV to get his first antibotics in and some pain meds. They also gave him another tetnas shot to be safe.
The hospital staff looked about half African and the rest anything from Asian to Middle Eastern. The surgeron was an Indian (I think) woman.
Kevin decided he just wanted a coke light. That's all he cared about! :) He said to just take the finger off. It was the left index finger, just barely above the 2nd knuckle. After x-rays the surgeon said they could put it back on with pins and he would have a stiff finger, but he said no-cut it off.
We left after a few hours. He hadn't quite gotten into surgery yet, but he finally let them give him the pain meds and he was pretty out of it. Someone will have to go back tomorrow and pay for things and check on him. Also bring him lunch and supper (in the hospitals here, they only serve a light breakfast. Family is responsible to bring other meals or some places let you buy food from a local caterer who comes in). I think he will be there minium tonight also and possibly another day. I know he won't like that!!! He's an old farm boy-just duck-taper back on-get'er done!

No comments: